Friday, April 21, 2017

The Art of Losing Oneself in a Cup of Tea


Sipping Heritage Wonder from Heritage Factory, Assam
in a black transferware antique teacup. 
I believe the teacup is early British when the cup
had no handle and the saucer was a slight bowl.
Tea could be sipped from the saucer.

Each cup of tea is a meditation in a teacup.

In the early morning hour
the house sits quietly waiting for me
I quietly tiptoe to the kitchen
turning the kettle on to warm fresh water.
The perfect cup is chosen
The tea is made
I sit and my hands warm as they wrap the cup
I dream a bit while sitting in the quietness of the morning
Watching the steam rise I delight in the slow pace, the warmth,
the scent, and then I sip
What dreams sit there in that cup
Where will it take my heart
I soar to a different place with my morning cup of tea

Yes, a Meditation in a Teacup 

Happy weekend, dear friends!

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Johnson Bros. cup, isn't it? Love them!

Your meditation words are so beautifully stated, Marilyn. I love that you find this inner peace with tea. I suspect it's what has been part of traditions centuries, no, millenia old. I love how you soar to different places with your cuppa. Lovely.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Marilyn, I of course love this post! As frequently as I drink tea throughout the day, I rarely do it absent-mindedly. Mindfulness. A meditation.