Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Notice What You Notice!

Look and See

This morning, at waterside, a sparrow flew
to a water rock and landed, by error, on the back
of an eider duck; lightly it fluttered off, amused.
The duck, too, was not provoked, but, you might say,
was laughing.

The afternoon a gull sailing over
our house was casually scratching
its stomach of white feathers with one
pink foot as it flew.

Oh Lord, how shining and festive is your gift to us,
if we only look, and see.

~Mary Oliver, Why I Wake Early

Notice what you notice today!

4 comments:

Mary said...

I need to wake earlier myself! I can do it when traveling, but seem to go to bed much too late at home and then struggle to get up by 7:30 AM - and so much has passed me by! It poured and stormed last evening - somehow though the winds dried everything off by 9 AM so I ventured into the garden to fill feeders for the sweet birds.

Mary X

Jeanie said...

I'm just not the best in the morning although Spring Forward usually helps! This is a gorgeous photo and wonderful poem.

Tracy said...

PURE LOVELINESS! Just LOVE your photo, Marilyn... and Mary Oliver always brings loveliness to a day. :) ((HUGS))

Steph said...

Yes!